Wednesday, April 20, 2016

James M. Triggs (1924-1992)

James Martin Triggs was born on March 2, 1924, in Indianapolis and was educated in Glen Ellyn, Illinois, and Mamaroneck, New York. He served in the U.S. military during World War II and studied at Cornell University and the Pratt Institute. Triggs got his start as a commercial artist working with Stevan Dohanos (1907-1994) and Coby Whitmore (1913-1988). Often working in a trompe l'oeil manner, he did advertising art and painted magazine covers for Argosy and other publications. He was especially interested in airplanes and firearms. Triggs was also an author, with the books The Piper Cub Story (1963) and Used Plane Buying Guide (1962) to his credit. James M. Triggs died on June 26, 1992, in Danbury, Connecticut.






Text copyright 2016 Terence E. Hanley

5 comments:

  1. James Martin Triggs was my grandfather. Thank you for this web page and the art that you featured. - James Triggs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jim,

      I'm glad you like what I wrote. I wish I could have found more images by him. I'm really fascinated by his art.

      Terence Hanley

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! He was my grandfather also. ��
    Tara Triggs-Sample

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. If you don't mind my asking, what is SAHA?

      TH

      Delete